Robert Schulte, MD
Board Certified in Adult Psychiatry Board Certified in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Therapy- In a Nutshell
About Dr. Schulte
Meet our Staff
Services & Office Policies
Contact Us
Articles Worth Reading!
"They say..."
New Client Intake Packet
Therapy- In a Nutshell

While psychiatrists such as Dr. Schulte are generally qualified to utilize most therapies commonly employed by other types of mental health practitioners, not all  choose to do so, and we recognize that not all clinicians are the perfect fit for all needs.  For this reason, we have prepared a brief overview of the most common types of mental health practitioners along with a list of answers to most frequently asked questions regarding therapy.  If, upon review of this summary you feel that a psychiatrist is the right fit for you we welcome your call to discuss how Dr. Schulte may be able to help you.

Substance Abuse Counselor
Education:  Bachelor's degree and specific training in substance abuse issues with some general psychology.  May or may not have a Master's degree.
Certification:  Generally, Certified Addiction Counselor (multiple levels).
Methods that may be employed:  Psychotherapy (talking therapy), family intervention, group therapy. 

Clinical Social Worker
Education:  Bachelor's or Masters degree, generally in psychology or social work (occasionally Doctorate in Social Work). 
:  Academy of Certified Social Work, Diplomate of Clinical Social Work.
Methods that may be employed:  Psychotherapy (talking therapy), Behavioral therapy.

Education:  Ph.D. (philosophy) or Psy.D. (psychology), internship and/or post-doctoral fellowship (usually an additional year), and possibly further education in specialized areas such as EMDR, hypnosis, and Cognitive Behavioral therapy.
Certification:  Most psychologists (clinical or otherwise) pass a state exam and must be  licensed by the psychological board in the state in which they practice.  Some psychologists are further certified in treatment protocols such as EMDR, hypnosis, and Cognitive Behavioral therapy.
Methods that may be employed:  Psychotherapy (talking therapy), Cognitive or Behavioral therapy (or both), Hypnosis, EMDR.

Education:  M.D. followed by internship and residency (usually four or more years) in psychiatry, and possible further certification in sub-specialty areas.  Some psychiatrists, including Dr. Schulte, also have an undergraduate degree in psychology.
Certification:  Some psychiatrists pass a national board certification exam in order to be Board certified in Adult Psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.  Some Psychiatrists seek further training and pass an additional set of exams in order to become additionally certified in areas such as Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Geriatrics, Addiction, or Forensics.
Methods that may be employed: Psychotherapy (talking therapy), Cognitive or Behavioral therapy (or both), and Medication therapy.


Q:  What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?
A:  While there are multiple, some very subtley nuanced, differences between psychologists and psychiatrists, the one that generally has the greatest impact on the average patient's decision-making is that psychiatrists can prescribe medication whereas psychologists cannot.  Additionally, some psychiatrists focus primarily on medication management, leaving psychotherapy to a psychologist or other therapist.  Dr. Schulte prefers to approach each client's therapy course individually based on specific needs.  While he does enjoy working with clients in psychotherapy, he is also a great believer in collaboration with psychologists and other mental health professionals to maximize benefit to his clients.  He sees both psychotherapy and med-management only clients on a fairly equal basis.

Q:  If I start on a medication will I have to stay on that medication forever?
A:  Not necessarily, although this may, for some people, be the case.

Q:  How often do I need to go to therapy to see/maintain results?
A:  That depends entirely on the individual.  Some clients will find that they require intensive, ongoing psychotherapy instead of or in addition to medication whereas others may have resolution of symptoms within one visit and proper medication. 

I have been on the same medication for years and am feeling pretty good but my psychiatrist/primary doctor/internist has retired- can't I just do a stop in visit (or phone visit) and stay on my current regimen?
A:  If your current regimen is working for you and Dr. Schulte sees no contra-indications to staying the course, he will let you know, but the only truly accurate way for him to make that assessent will be an intake evaluation wherein Dr. Schulte has an opportunity to meet you, review your medical history, and get "up to speed" on your current situation.

Q:  Do you do evaluations for SSI, FAA, SSD, Vocational testing, or IQ testing?
A:  Generally, no.  Occasionally one of our clients will become disabled and we will need to fill out paperwork for FMLA or SSD in conjunction with that onset of disability, but this is not common.  Moreover, Dr. Schulte prefers to devote his time working with patients in his clinical practice.  We can refer you to a psychologist or neuropsychologist who can perform appropriate testing.